Ever wondered what your perfect day would look like?
Who would you spend it with?
What would you eat?
Where would you go?
I have outlined my perfect day… starting off with a delicious breakfast, surrounding myself with loved ones, and ending it with a bang!
1. Start your day in style
Get breakfast in bed made by your kids (or your partner but supervised by your kids). Anyone that has been following me a for a while knows how much I lurrve muesli. So, this morning I woke up to the most delicious breakfast…
Summer Fruits Muesli with Chobani Strawberry Yoghurt, fruit and Tasmanian Leatherwood honey, and a cup of steaming hot coffee
It is devine!! If I had the choice to eat muesli three times a day, I would! The fruits that were chosen for me this morning were strawberries, blueberries and banana. These fruits are so sweet with the mixture of the Chobani yoghurt and the honey. If you haven’t tried the Tasmanian Leatherwood honey, I want to to know why? You are truly missing out – I cannot recommend it more highly!
If you’re after the recipe for this delicious breakfast, it is simple: place all ingredients into a bowl!!
Healthy snacks always make me feel amazing.
It could be as simple as tomato, avocado and cream cheese on biscuits. In fact, this is my healthy snack of choice!
Otherwise, I love simply having a bowl of fruit.
3. Surround yourself with loved ones
This is what we are having for dinner tonight, a traditional family roast. It is delicious. There is nothing more stomach warming than a roast on a winters day, plus if you’re eating with your family then your heart will be warm too…. nawww!! I cook a mean roast, probably because it is pretty damn easy but looks and tastes impressive. The marinade is what makes this roast stand out – it’s my mother-in-laws recipe and is below.
Family roast beef and scrummy roast and steamed veg
For tonight’s roast I have chosen topside beef (of course) and smothered it in my MIL’s marinade. I have chosen potatoes, carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato (kumara), and garlic, onion, beans, peas and broccoli (not pictured). If you’re thinking to yourself that there are heaps of vegetables with this dinner, then you’re right! I always cook way more as the leftovers make great lunches the next day. Leftover roast meat is great in sandwiches.
The recipe and method for this meal is super easy. As usual! It is as follows:
- Coat all roasting vegetables in oil, herbs and seasoning and cook them in the same pan as the meat on about 200 degrees celsius then turn it down to 180 after fifteen mins.
- Cook the meat for 30 mins per 500 grams.
- Add full garlic cloves with 40 mins remaining. Steam the greens (beans, peas and broccoli) until they are just tender. These veggies could be blanched in boiling water for one minute if you prefer.
- Once the meat is cooked, wrap it in foil and let it sit for fifteen mins while you make the gravy.
- Gravy is made by sitting the roasting tray that was used to roast the meat and veg on the stove hot plate and adding stock, cornflour to thicken, whilst scrapping the chunky burnt bits of vegetable and meat of the bottom of the pan. This makes a-m-a-z-i-n-g gravy, and it was taught to me by my mum!
- Then serve with a smile!! And a glass of wine too!
Now it is with great regret that I cannot claim ownership of this marinade. It is amazing and if we’re comparing roasts, and mine has this marinade, then my roast is so way out of your roast’s league! Just sayin’! Anyway, the recipe and method is so simple. Are you surprised?
You will need:
- Splash of Soy Sauce
- Squirt of Wholemeal dijon mustard
- Splash of Olive Oil
- 2x Garlic Cloves squished
- Tspn flour
- Herbs of your choice (I have thyme and rosemary)
Mix everything together and rub it all over the roast sticking some herbs into any nooks you can find/make. The end. Told you it was simple.
End your day with a BANG!!
It wouldn’t be a birthday without a bit of chocolate cake. Well I don’t have chocolate cake planned, but I do have something better.
Max Brenners Chocolate Brownie and Chocolate Souffle
I was faced with a predicament today. I wanted chocolate for dessert, and as I love to bake I was going to cook myself an over the top chocolate cake. But to be honest, I didn’t think I would have time and I only want to have one piece not the entire cake. This is me choosing to be a Healthy Choices Mummy – only one piece of dessert on my birthday not the entire cake! So I decided to buy some delicious desserts from Max Brenner and couple them with a little bit of cream and some fruit. You cannot go wrong with this can you?
So this is my amazing day! I feel fantastic because today I have made so many healthy choices today. Let’s list them
- Had favourite breaky in bed
- Went for a walk with my son to meet hubby
- Spoke to family and friends on the phone
- Am having a family dinner tonight, which will be delicious!
- And, topping off the day with a beautiful dessert.
What does your perfect food day look like?
Want more healthy choices from Canberra Mummy? Subscribe to Canberra Mummy’s free newsletter at www.canberramummy.com, follow at www.facebook.com/canberramummy, twitter @CanberraMummy or www.pinterest.com/canberram/